NBA 2K22 brings scoring legends Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin Durant as cover athletes.
2K today announced the full lineup of cover athletes for NBA 2K22, the next installment in the top-rated and best-selling NBA video game simulation series for the past 20 years.
The cover of the Standard Edition and the Cross-Gen Digital Bundle will feature the world-famous two-time NBA All-Star Luka Dončić, while the trio of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin Durant are three of the strongest NBA Big Men high-quality NBA 75th Anniversary Edition. Each of the athletes made a decisive contribution to the sport of basketball.
The worldwide release of all NBA 2K22 editions is planned for September 10, 2021, pre-orders are possible from today:
With extensive improvements to graphics and player AI, historical teams and an enormous variety of game experiences, NBA 2K22 puts the whole basketball universe in the hands of the players.
“To be a model for an international NBA 2K22 cover is a great honor for me,” says Dončić.
“I am proud to represent my country on a special cover that honors the national colors of the Slovenian flag. The sport of basketball has given me so much. That’s why I’m all the more pleased to give something back and to be able to work with 2K Foundations this year to help children and young people around the world. “
This year there will be three editions of NBA 2K22 in digital and physical form: the Standard Edition, a Cross-Gen Digital Bundle and a special NBA 75th Anniversary Edition:
- The Standard Edition will be available for previous generation platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC (Steam)) as well as for new generation consoles (PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X | S);
- The Cross-gen digital bundle will give players with PlayStation and Xbox consoles of the previous and new generation of the same console family access to the Standard Edition grant;
- The NBA 2K22 NBA 75th Anniversary Edition for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X | S, Nintendo Switch and PC (Steam). Both that Cross-gen digital bundle as well as the NBA 75th Anniversary Edition offer dual access to PS4 / PS5 and Xbox One / Xbox Series X | S and provide a version of the game for each console generation within the same console family at no additional cost. The NBA 75th Anniversary Edition for Nintendo Switch will only be available in digital format in this country.
The NBA 75th Anniversary Edition celebrates three of the most important basketball icons who have revolutionized the league in the 75 years of its existence:
- The six-time NBA champion and six-time MVP as well as all-time NBA scoring leader Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who was immortalized in the Hall of Fame, has had a lasting influence on the game to this day, from his patented Skyhook to his social commitment;
- The 14-time all-star, NBA champion and MVP Dirk Nowitzki embodies as the legendary international basketball great not only the global spread of basketball, but also the evolution of the game itself;
- 11-time all-star, league MVP and two-time NBA champion Kevin Durant is a legend in himself. Known in the league for his unique presence, he is making his third appearance as an NBA 2K cover athlete.
The cover artwork for the NBA 75th Anniversary Edition and the Cross-Gen Digital Bundle was designed by Atlanta-based artist Charly Palmer, whose artistic work is defined by complex compositions, a unique technique and a unique style.
Palmer’s work is exhibited throughout the United States. He recently gained fame through his “Civil Rights” series of paintings and compositions entitled “America Must Change”, which appeared on the cover of the in July 2020 TIME magazine
“The NBA 2K cover has always been a way of telling stories and portraying the athletes’ unique and diverse backgrounds,” said Alfie Brody, vice president of global marketing strategy at NBA 2K. “The culture surrounding basketball is lively and transcends geographical boundaries. This year we would like to present this global diversity with Charly’s impressive, unique art. “
In North America, players can secure a special version of the Standard Edition with six-time WNBA All-Star and WNBA Champion Candace Parker on the cover.
Parker’s appearance marks a milestone for NBA 2K: She is the first cover athlete in the history of the series. The Chicago Sky star’s cover feature is the latest push in the ongoing NBA 2K initiatives for prominent placement of women in the game.
Also in Japan, players can purchase a special version of the Standard Edition, with Washington Wizards’ Rui Hachimura, an emerging star who was drafted in 2019 as the first Japanese player in the first round and the first Japanese player to reach the NBA playoffs.
All details for pre-orders as well as further information about the cover athletes of the different editions of this year’s game can be found on the official NBA 2K22 Website.
2K will make additional announcements about NBA 2K22 in the coming weeks, including first impressions of game elements, insights into the soundtrack, live service updates, and more. With always new content and an enthusiastic fan community, NBA 2K offers endless basketball fun.