- Apple has given its Apple TV streaming box a new function.
- With the help of your iPhone, you can optimally adjust the color rendering of the television picture in just a few simple steps.
- We’ll explain to you how to do this.
Apples Streaming-Box, the Apple TV, gets a practical new function with tvOS 14.5. With the help of your iPhone, you can calibrate your television so that colors are reproduced perfectly. See yours HDR image kind of weird? Are the colors wrong? This is a thing of the past with the new feature.
The function can be performed on the Apple TV HD, Apple TV 4K (1. Generation) as well as Apple TV 4K (2021) can be used. You need an iPhone with Face ID for this, i.e. at least an iPhone X. If you are using an Apple cell phone with Touch ID, for example iPhone SE (2020)? Unfortunately, that doesn’t work.
The new feature comes with iOS 14.5 and tvOS 14.5 rolled out. Both systems are currently still in beta and will not be released for all users until the end of April.
Th is is how you use the color calibration
As is typical for Apple, color calibration is very simple. Just go through the following steps in sequence and follow the instructions. Overall, the process takes a few minutes.
- Open the settings on your Apple TV and switch to “Video and Audio”.
- Select the “White balance” item here.
- You will be asked to move your iPhone near the Apple TV. Pick up your cell phone and tap the “White Balance” message that appears on your iPhone screen.
- A pop-up opens, which you confirm with “Continue”.
- Your television now shows a special picture. Hold your iPhone a maximum of 2.5 centimeters away in front of the TV within the frame shown
- Important: The front camera must point towards the television.
- The Apple TV now switches through different color tones and then automatically adjusts its image output. When the process is complete, you will receive a confirmation.
Important: Is Dolby Vision on yours Smart TV activated, the calibration does not work – the setting is grayed out. This is because Dolby Vision uses its own image dynamics and no adjustment is necessary.
Also note: The white balance is adjusted on the Apple TV. This adjusts its image output so that your television shows the ideal image. Conversely, this means that the image in the regular Television on the internet, the cable connection or satellite is no longer tuned.
You don’t have an Apple TV yet, but are toying with the purchase? We’ll explain them to you Differences between Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K. Just take a look at the linked article.