The survival game Last Oasis has been struggling with problems since day one of Early Access on Steam. First developer Donkey Crew had to use an emergency shutdown to fix serious server errors. After a week, the servers were up again, but criticism soon arose from gamers. Because the PvP-focused survival game was so tailored to large clans that they mercilessly hunted down small groups and individual players.
The number of players quickly fell to less than 1,000 simultaneous Steam players on a monthly average. But now around 4,400 players are returning to Last Oasis at the same time. That is a 24-hour increase of over 600 percent loudly Steamcharts
What has been improved?
First important context: In the story of Last Oasis, the world no longer turns. The sun wanders slowly around and burns the biomes, which is why players with self-made machine bases, called walkers, have to keep moving. Last Oasis relies on many servers that are distributed on a world map. These have different biomes and resources that are worth farming.
The problem was that huge clans with dozens of players occupied the best servers and Hunt for small groups and individual players did. Anyone who was not in a so-called “Zerg” -lan quickly became frustrated trying to get a piece of the pie. Various attempts by the developers to balance this were unsuccessful.
Now Donkey Crew is daring a “radical step”, as can be read on Steam. Instead of a big world full of small servers, there are now several realms, each with its own Upper limit for clans. This should ensure that both large and small groups as well as lone wolves find the right play environment.
With this Last Oasis lays the foundation stone, at least theoretically, to build on the initial success (33,000 simultaneously active players) and to lure back one or the other fan. At its core is a fun and stylish survival MMO, as we analyze in the video. Here we also go into the disastrous release of Last Oasis:
Last Oasis – New survival game: hope despite the start of the catastrophe
This is still in the update
- New map: The Kali Spiers oasis is home to a city in the clouds that can only be reached with flying walkers. New opponents and resources should provide variety.
- New “flying walker”: The Raptor Sky Walker has nothing to do with Star Wars, but lets you fly through the air with your friends, as was already possible individually with a wingsuit.
- Big Bad Sandworm: A huge new enemy appears in the desert. It’s a gigantic sandworm that hunts walkers. In order to defeat him, players must work together.
- Revised user interface and controller support: Players can now also play on their PC with a gamepad. For this, the Last Oasis UI has been completely overhauled. Now it should work for both keyboard and controller control.
- Xbox-Release und Crossplay: Last Oasis has appeared in the game preview program for Xbox One and Series X | S. At the same time, the survival game enables optional crossplay between Steam and Xbox players.
The trailer shows what the new content in Season 3 of Last Oasis looks like:
Last Oasis lets the walkers fly in the trailer and shows huge sandworms
Further changes, including numerous balance improvements, can be found in the Blogpost read up.