The latest update for the survival hit Rust is called “Contacts” and takes a big step into the future – both in terms of the actual gameplay and the connection to the real world.
Because although the developers of Facepunch mainly advertise the revised, eponymous contact system as the flagship of the big update, our interest is rather from the added support for IFTTT automatisms (»If this, then that«) Awakened.
With Rust + you can now control many things in real life
If you have installed the Rust + app on your smartphone and linked it to a game server, you can automate a number of processes in the future while you are fighting for your survival in the game world.
Control your light in the room via the game? No problem! Thanks to IFTTT support, Rust + connects to numerous smart home devices and links their control to your pre-set conditions. A variety of examples are given by the manufacturer, so you could for example:
- Regulate your light in the room via the game, for example a short flicker when you virtually bless the temporal.
- Write a post on social media platforms as soon as you start a stream.
- If a smart alarm is triggered with the trigger word “pizza”, an order is automatically placed with your supported pizza supplier.
- Take revenge on a player who knocked you out in Rust by automatically posting a tweet and drawing attention to them to other players.
The developers have already announced that they will also support smart switches in the future.
Lots of changes in gameplay too
Aside from the futuristic IFTTT story, there are of course a number of changes within the game, which we clearly list for you:
- Rust now has a new contact system that allows you to better distinguish friendly fellow players from enemy journeymen. That should save many a friendship! You can find the contact hub via a new tab in the inventory menu. There you can adjust the tags above the heads of your fellow players in order to keep track of things in the heat of the moment.
- Electric cables and hoses can now be colored.
- The demo shot system now has new and expanded functions to create even better videos.
- The first phase of the extensive AI revision has been implemented. Here the developers emphasize that bugs should be expected due to the large scope of the project.
- Last but not least: the animals have been redesigned! Both the models themselves and graphic delicacies such as a new fur shader should ensure a much more lifelike display. Wolves and bears in particular benefit from the facelift.
- There are also minor improvements to the game’s terrain creation and the X-markings on trees.
You can find the complete changelog on the official Rust website.
Rust Contacts-Update ansehen
Incidentally, the last major Rust update was not long ago. At the beginning of May there were extensive changes to the game graphics and the construction system. You can read all about it in this article.
What do you think of the IFTTT support? Do you already have compatible devices at home and if not, would such features in games encourage you to modernize your own four walls accordingly? Let us know in the comments!