One more day we get confirmation of a new title for Nintendo’s hybrid console. This time, City Connection has announced Abarenbo Tengu y Zombie Nation for Switch (also coming to PC via Steam).
These are the details that have been shared:
- Abarenbo Tengu & Zombie Nation includes both the Famicom game released in 1990, Abarenbo Tengu, like its English localization Zombie Nation, 1991.
- It’s about a shooter side scrolling.
- Will be launched on October 28.
We leave you his premise and his trailer:
This revival is a double set of Abarenbo Tengu, a game that came out in 1990 on the Famicom System, and Zombie Nation, which came out the following year. Save the world and fight to keep the peace in this exciting side scrolling shooter, now with new modes and features.
In the year 199X, just before the 21st century, an unidentified evil star approaches the United States. As he approaches the mainland, he transforms into an evil life form that is about to cover the entire country. The life form (Darc Seed) emitted a spectrum that turned everyone into a spectrum. The few people who still had his soul were captured. The prayers of the people crossed the sea and reached the Tengu of Yamato, the guardian god of peace. Using his own spirit power, he created a “Great Tengu mask” and flew it to the mainland to regain freedom and peace. What awaits you is a completely uncontrollable army and monsters that have been created by the energy of Darc Seed. Will the “Great Tengu” be able to save the United States from this chaos in time?
1999. What appeared to be a harmless meteor that crashed in the Nevada desert turned out to be Darc Seed, an evil alien creature with horrible powers. Firing strange magnetic beams, Darc Seed had turned the defenseless nation into zombies and brought the Statue of Liberty to life to do its dirty work. These beams had also given him control of many deadly weapons, but none were more powerful than the legendary samurai sword, Shura. When the great chief of the samurai, Namakubi, learned that the sword had fallen into the hands of evil, he immediately set out for the United States. For he alone possessed the strength and knowledge to recover the magic sword and free the United States from the evil clutches of Darc Seed.
■ How to play
Two games to choose from
Select Abarenbo Tengu or Zombie Nation on the title screen.
There are two modes to choose from in both Abarembo Tengu and Zombie Nation. You can choose between PETENGU Mode and EXCITENGU Mode in Abarembo Tengu, and ZOMBIE Mode and SAMURAI Mode in Zombie Nation.
(By default it will be set with PETENGU Mode and ZOMBIE Mode).
- PETENGU mode / ZOMBIE mode – In this mode, you can play with useful functions like Rewind, Quick Save and Quick Load. Clearing all rounds unlocks Special mode.
- Modo EXCITENGU / Modo SAMURAI – This is a mode that allows you to play in the same way as the original. Although you can only use Accessories for useful features, you can still challenge for achievements. You can check the results of your practice in PETENGU Mode and ZOMBIE Mode, beat all rounds and unlock achievements. (This mode cannot be used in Special mode).
■ Introduction of new functions
Four useful functions
- New feature # 1: Rewind – You can save and load anywhere in the game. Abarembo Tengu and Zombie Nation have three save slots each.
- New feature # 2: Quick save and load – You can save and load anywhere in the game. Abarembo Tengu and Zombie Nation have three save slots each.
- New feature # 3: Fast fire – You can activate / deactivate the rapid fire function in Abarembo Tengu in the options screen. (Zombie Nation included this feature in the original game.)
- New feature # 4: Accessories – You can show the mode, the difficulty (EASY / HARD), the scores and also the high scores on the screen. In EXCITENGU and SAMURAI modes, you can also check your achievements.
■ Additional content
- Extras – You can see it from the title screen. You can see the original designs, such as packaging and posters. (You can see the manual for each game through the menu).
- Achievements – You can see the achievements from the title screen. You can see the achievements that you can challenge in EXCITENGU and SAMURAI modes. If you use the Accessory function, you will be able to check what you have obtained during the game.
- Special – The special is unlocked when you beat all the rounds in PETENGU or ZOMBIE modes and you can select it in the menu of each game. You can play “that mode” where you can play with the hidden controller.
■ Physical Edition
The physical version of this title for Nintendo Switch is now available in limited quantities as EXCITENGU BOX! Includes a soundtrack CD with new songs and arrangements by Abarembo Tengu’s sound director and composer Norio Nakagata, a setting document book with treasured illustrations and interviews with the developers, and an alternate cover sheet that can be exchanged for the ‘Munen’ edition. The artwork was drawn by the original designer, Satoshi Okano / OKN! You can listen to it and freak out, read it and freak out, or show it and freak out. It is a magnificent special edition. (There is no standard version, only game software, available as a physical version outside of the EXCITENGU BOX package).
What do you think?