AMD today launched a new update to its Graphics Drivers Radeon Adrenalin Software, which reaches version 21.6.2 beta, and it’s a very interesting update because it supports Real-time ray tracing for Doom Eternal, the first game to implement Vulkan RT. The drivers also add support for a handful of new Vulkan API extensions and fix some bugs, so it’s recommended to install this update for almost all users and especially those who want to take advantage of the Ray. Tracing in Doom Eternal.
As always, AMD occasionally updates its drivers to add improvements and fix errors from previous versions, although it is true that the list of known errors in the current version is much longer than the list of errors. corrected. Either way, the most interesting thing is, of course, the inclusion of Ray Tracing support in Doom Eternal via the Vulkan API, something users of the latest generation of AMD graphics cards will surely appreciate. .
Doom Eternal is getting Ray Tracing, but what else is there?
Along with the addition of Ray Tracing support in Doom Eternal (which AMD has called “Doom Eternal next-gen update”), the necessary components are added for the Vulkan Graphics API to support this technology. ray tracing in real time. Likewise, the following extensions are added to the Vulkan graphics API:
- VK_EXT_custom_border_color – This extension allows applications to specify a custom border color when using the VK_SAMPLER_ADDRESS_MODE_CLAMP_TO_BORDER example address mode.
- VK_KHR_shader_subgroup_uniform_control_flow – This other extension exposes the availability of the SPV_KHR_subgroup_uniform_control_flow SPIR-V extension for the use of shader modules. The SPIR-V extension offers better guarantees that the divergent subgroups will converge again.
- VK_EXT_color_write_enable – This extension allows applications to selectively enable and disable writes for output color attachments through the dynamic state pipeline. This has the potential to reduce the number of lanes to increase efficiency.
As for the bugs fixed in this version of AMD graphics drivers, we only found three:
- When playing MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries under DirectX 11, there were visual artifact effects on some AMD graphics such as Radeon RX 6000 series.
- Error 184 was sometimes received after running the automatic GPU detection utility and installing AMD updates on Windows 7 systems.
- Adobe Substance 3D Painter would sometimes freeze when running with Radeon RX 6900 graphics.
List of known bugs
Below is the list of known bugs in this version of AMD graphics software:
- Some users may experience high memory usage from AMD user experience program. A temporary solution is to exclude yourself from it.
- Resident Evil Village may experience intermittent crashes or RDTs when using Radeon VII GPUs in the game’s first mission.
- Enhanced sync may cause a black screen when enabled in some games and system settings. Deactivating it is a temporary solution.
- Connecting two displays with large differences in resolution / refresh rate may cause flickering with Radeon RX Vega graphics.
- You may receive an Oculus service error on Radeon RX 6000 and RX 5000 graphics that prevents Oculus Link from running.
- Performance metrics and logging functions can intermittently report extremely high or incorrect memory clock values.
- If Ryzen Master is not detected after installation, a system restart may be required.
- Driver mismatch error may appear when two versions of Radeon software are installed on the system.
- AMD is investigating an issue that may have a low impact on the battery life of laptops with the Ryzen 5000.
- You may receive a blue screen or the screen may go black after upgrading to this version of the software.
- AMD is investigating a D3 code that can be seen on some motherboards when this version of the software is installed.
- Lower than expected performance may be observed on some systems with Athlon processors.
As always, to download this version of AMD drivers you can do so directly with its software update system or by manually downloading it from its website.