After being published in 2020, and after being distributed in English, Google Assistant guest mode on speakers and connected displays is now available in Spanish. Once activated, we can ask the devices anything without having the orders saved in the Google account.
With the enormous data storage capacity available to Google, no action is taken on the web, Android, or smart speakers that don’t. is recorded in the account from which it is made. For example, you just need to ask Google “What’s the weather” to have the conversation recorded in your activity history. This has its advantages, but it also raises serious privacy concerns. Don’t want Google to record everything you ask over the speaker or on the screen? Well, there is already a way.
“Ok Google: activate Guest mode”
The new feature is already active in Spanish and Europe, as Google assures us. We checked it in our Google Home, it does exactly what we expect of it: maintains basic assistant operation without the activity being reflected in the account registered with the device.
Enabling guest mode on Google speakers and smart screens is extremely easy, you just need to perform the following steps:
- Say “Ok, Google” to wake up the assistant and give the order to “Activate guest mode“.
- The wizard will explain to you what the aforementioned mode consists of. Anything you comment on with your speaker and / or screen from this point on it will be anonymous and will not be saved in your Google account
- Every time you ask your device for something, you will hear the answer is preceded by beeps. This is the indicator that guest mode is enabled.
- To turn off anonymity, say “Turn off guest mode”. The Google Assistant will confirm its deactivation and you will no longer hear a beep before responding to your commands.
- You should keep in mind that anonymous use This applies to the Google Assistant, not the applications you launch through it. For example, if you open music on Spotify, that platform will record your usage. Or if you are using YouTube on a screen.
Google won’t save any requests you make to your account as long as the active mode remains active on the speakerphone or screen. In addition, neither the activation nor the deactivation order is recorded, anonymity is therefore effective. Although yes, this only concerns the activity recorded in the account, that Google will continue to have access to the information and certain usage data to continue to guarantee the answers; like the location of the IP address from which requests are made, for example.
With Guest mode, smart devices not only offer anonymity, they allow its use to those who are not part of the family nucleus; and without being able to know the private data by mistake. It is already available in Spanish and can be activated from Europe.
More information | Google