Native Mac apps not working as they should? It’s as easy as you can change or choose a default program or application to open files on macOS.
If something characterizes Apple thanks to macOS is its incredible performance, offering different tools for every need. Fortunately, native applications for Mac computers are very complete and versatile for what an average user might need.
Even so, others may not be entirely practical or just because they are familiar with a specific tool to view files, pictures, documents and more.
If you are one of these, you will know that it is tedious to have to go through a whole process to open a file with your favorite program
You can therefore choose the default application to open a file on macOS
The first thing that you need to be clear about is that if you want to open a certain file in a timely manner with an app, you won’t need to change the default app, you just need to give “Right click> open with” and select the one you need.
If, on the other hand, you really need a specific file type, for example, AVI videos to MP4, the normal thing is that they breed with Quick Time but in your case, you prefer them to breed with VLC, you must then proceed as follows:
- Select the file you want to open.
- Then right click on the file in question and go to the option “Obtain informations”.
- Now tap on the symbol “>” located on the left side of “Open with” so that a window with detailed information appears.
- At this point you will need to press the drop-down menu and choose “Another application”, so:
- In the selector, choose “All applications” instead of “recommended apps”.
- Select the desired application and press “Add”.
- To finish, press “Change everything” so that it applies to all files in that format.
- Finally, click on “Carry on” and the changes made will be saved.
How to change the default web browser in macOS
We know that Safari is Apple’s default browser on all of their devices, but you might feel more comfortable using Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge
Fortunately, it is possible change default browser and it only takes a few very simple steps to achieve it. So if you want to change, all you need to do is:
- To hate “System Preferences> General”.
- Scroll down the floating window to the option “Default web browser” and click there to display a menu.
- Now just choose the Web browser what do you want instead of Safari and ready.
- Finally, close the window and the changes will be applied. From now on, each time you click on a link, it will open in the web browser of your choice and not in the apple default.
How to choose the default email app in macOS
Another of the changes most requested by many macOS users over time is without a doubt the ability to modify Apple’s native messaging app.
However, the default option is very good and comprehensive, and recent versions offer a lot of news and features
- Start by pressing the key combination “Command +”, or if you prefer, access the application “Mail> Preferences”.
- Here you have to go to “General> Default e-mail reader” and click to display the available alternatives.
- Once you’ve chosen the app you want to use by default, just close the window and that’s it. The changes will be applied immediately.
As you will see, it is very simple change default apps in macOS computers and modify or choose the default application with which to open a file in macOS. Only in this way is it possible to enjoy a better experience and your favorite apps whenever you need them.