Devices with Android TV have Google Play to download apps, but that’s not the only way to install them: just like Android, TVs and players also support APK files. There are several ways to achieve this: we tell you what we consider the simplest.
It doesn’t matter if the device is a television or a media player for television: if you have Android TV, you will also have Google Play Store. Not only that: you will be able to access the installation of applications in the form of Apk files. This process is not too complicated, although it does require some steps; thanks to an extremely practical application: ‘Send Files to TV’.
Send APK files to TV with Send Files to TV
Android TV can install apps from Google Play and also in APK file format, just like mobile phones. The problem is that you must download these files to the device with Android TV; It doesn’t matter if it’s a TV or a player. For this you can use a USB key, also a micro SD card (provided your Android TV has connectors); or you can use Send files to TV.
The app we talked about allows the transfer of all types of files between the TV and the mobile, be it photographs, documents or, as in this case, APKs. The requirement is that Send Files to TV must be installed on both mobile and Android TV device; with the obligation that both must connect to the same WiFi network.
The process of installing APK files on the TV using the Send Files to TV option is as follows:
- Install the Send Files to TV app on your TV (or player) with Android TV and on your mobile
- Install a file manager on your Android TV. We generally recommend File Commander, although almost everything else is fine as long as it accesses the package installer (most).
- Download the APK file you want on your mobile.
- Open Send Files to TV on TV and also on mobile. Follow the steps to get to the main screen with ‘Send’ and ‘Receive’ in big letters.
- Press “Send” from the mobile and find the APK file. Then select your Android TV.
- The file will have been sent to your TV or player: by default it will be stored in the ‘Downloads’ folder (“Downloads”).
- Como Send Files to TV unable to install apks (at least for now) you need to open the file manager.
- Find the downloads folder, click on the received APK, accept the installation from unknown sources and install the application.
The process seems a bit cumbersome the first time, but the following ones you will only have to open Send files to TV on your mobile and on the TV, send the APK and install it with the file manager. This is the simplest and most universal way to perform the process since It is valid for any Android TV. Moreover, Send Files to TV is free, it only has a few ads, and it will help you transfer any other file, not just APK files. It is highly recommended.