We store a large amount of information on our computers. Over time, we keep more and more elements, so we can find ourselves in the situation where we no longer adapt. Fortunately, we have several resources to recover space on our Mac.
Many resources with which our Mac will recover as much space as possible
There are many methods to save space on our Mac. Almost too many, as many end up being difficult to manage, have unintended consequences, or are just temporary. So let’s collect what we consider to be eight best ways to recover space on our Mac.
- Delete the largest files: In terms of storage, it will always be better to delete a single file of the largest size than hundreds of small ones. We can find the largest files in the Apple () menu by pressing About This Mac
- Delete apps we don’t use: Just in the same section in which we are, we can select Apps in the sidebar to see which apps are occupying the most. From here we can directly uninstall those that we do not use.
- Empty the recycling bin: Sometimes we delete a lot of files, but they remain in the Recycle Bin, taking up space. To avoid this, we simply right-click on it, in the Dock, and choose empty trash can. Also, in the Apple menu () > About This Mac > Storage room > Manage we can enable automatic emptying of items left in the trash for more than 30 days.
- Delete local backups from iOS devices: iOS devices, in addition to making backup copies in iCloud, can make them on our Mac. It is a good idea that we review these copies and delete those that we no longer need. To do this we must connect our iPhone or iPad to the Mac, open the application Searcher
- Delete browser temporary files: Over time, we accumulate a considerable amount of content from different websites. Content that is cached so that if we visit the page again, there is no need to download it again. We can clear the Safari cache from the menu Safari > preferences enter the tab confidentiality then in Manage website data. We may remove data from specific sites or touch delete all for quick cleaning. Remember that we have to reconnect to the sites that need it.
- Empty the trash in the Photos app: Just like the Trash on your Mac, the Photos app keeps content you’ve deleted within the last 30 days. At some point, if we have managed to manage a large number of videos or photos, it is a good idea to empty it manually. We will do this in the Photos app, selecting Deleted
- Sort the Downloads folder: The Downloads folder is usually another point of occupying space on the Mac. It is common for us to download large files which over time stay there. It’s always a good idea to go through the folder well, delete everything that remains, and move what we really want to save to documents or similar folders.
- Use iCloud Drive to save files: Thanks to iCloud Drive, all our files are also in the cloud. Whenever your Mac runs out of space, it deletes the local copy and only keeps the iCloud copy, so the space is freed up without deleting anything.
With these eight resources, we can quickly reclaim space on our Mac. Resources that we should not wait until we have little space left to realize them, but it is a good idea that Let’s incorporate it into our regular workflow to always keep enough free storage to be able to operate comfortably.
Picture | Ben Kolde