Krish Jain from Malaga became the sole Spanish winner of the 2021 Swift Student Challenge. To be eligible for the award, applicants had to demonstrate their creativity and technical programming skills.
Jain wowed Apple with a project featuring a minimalist version of the game Cut the rope, which allowed it to be one of the selected among the 350 winners of the annual challenge that the company celebrates on the occasion of the WWDC.
If you are a student who are fascinated by programming and want to become the next Krish Jain, you are surely interested in knowing when the 2022 Swift Student Challenge will take place and what you need to do to participate.
What is the Apple Swift Student Challenge?
For the past few years, Apple has organized the Swift Student Challenge (“Challenge for Swift Students” in Spanish) and has it coincided with the celebration of its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), which usually takes place in June.
With this challenge, the company wishes to support these young students who are passionate about programming and who could become developers and developers of applications for Apple operating systems.
It makes sense to match this contest with the event of Software annual apple. WWDC is usually the go-to place to showcase all the news on iOS, iPadOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS, and the first developer beta releases usually arrive a few days later.
What do the winners of the Swift Student Challenge earn?
Before the pandemic, and when WWDC could still stand in person, all of the Swift Student Challenge winners won a week-long trip to San Jose, Calif., All expenses paid, including admission to attend the event (which costs $ 1,600).
In 2020, the physical event has been replaced by an exclusively online and with it, the price has also become virtual. This was also the case in 2021, although that could change in 2022 if WWDC is held in person again.
In 2021, in addition to receiving merchandising of that year’s WWDC, the winners and winners of the challenge could be downloaded Software Before launch, attend lab sessions and connect with Apple engineers on the WWDC21 forums. They also purchased a free one-year subscription to Apple’s beta software program.
When will the next Swift Student Challenge take place?
The dates of the next Swift Student Challenge, to be held on the occasion of WWDC 2022, have not yet been announced. This could take place from June 6 to 10, 2022, although so far nothing official.
If these dates are confirmed and taking into account the calendar of the 2021 edition, we can plan the following dates:
- The deadline for submitting projects could open on Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 6:00 a.m. PDT.
- The deadline for submitting projects could end on Monday, March 18, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. PDT.
- Winners and winners could be announced on Tuesday, May 31, 2022.
How to participate in the 2022 Swift Challenge Student?
Requirements to participate in the Swift Challenge Student
To participate in the Swift Challenge Student, you must meet several conditions:
- Be 13 years or older (United States), 16 years or older (European Union) or equivalent in each jurisdiction
- Be a Registered Apple Developer (Free) or Join the Apple Developer Program
- To be a student: 1) To be registered in an academic institution; 2) Be enrolled in a STEM organization; 3) Be enrolled in an Apple Developer Academy; or 4) Have completed the institute within the last 6 months
For more information, you can go to the Apple page.
Characteristics of the Swift project to present
There aren’t a lot of Project Swift requirements that you have to submit to participate in Apple’s Annual Challenge, but it’s important to keep them in mind:
- Individual project carried out in Swift
- 3-minute interactive stage
- ZIP file of 25 MB maximum
- Content in English only
- Project available offline (cannot depend on internet connection)
- Compatible with Swift Playgrounds 3.4.1 on iPadOS 14.4.2, Swift Playgrounds 3.4.1 on macOS 11.2.3 or Xcode 12.4 on macOS 11.2.3 (in 2021, may change in 2022)
Again, visit the Apple page for more information.
How to complete the application
1. Sign in with your Apple ID associated with your developer account to complete the form. For minors, the information of the father, mother or legal guardian will be required.
2. You need to fill out the form with information about your previous experience as a developer, for example if you have an app in the App Store. You can also include your CV (legal age).
3. Then you must include a document (in any language) that proves that you are a student, as well as the contact details of your supervisor.
4. Then, it will be time to upload your Swift project and explain in a few words the functions and technologies used.
5. Finally, you can conclude by explaining more about your passion and knowledge about the world of programming.
When will the 2022 Swift Challenge Student winners be announced?
As we said before, the dates for the 2022 Swift Challenge Student are currently unknown, but the announcement of the winners and winners is expected to come a few days before the start of WWDC 2022.
We would dare to say that the announcement will be made on May 31, because we believe that the opening speech The inaugural event could begin on June 6, 2022.