2K will release a new part of the NBA 2K basketball series again this year. Now not only is the release date fixed, the cover athletes around young star Luka Doncic and old star Dirk Nowitzki have also been confirmed.
2K today officially announced the new NBA 2K22 – and German NBA legend Dirk Nowitzki will play a role in this. While the young star Luka Doncic from the Dallas Mavericks can be seen on the main cover, there will also be a special NBA 75th Anniversary Ed ition, the cover of which is adorned with three formative athletes: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Kevin Durant and Dirk Nowitzki. The cult star from Würzburg now also makes it onto a game cover.
The release of the game is planned for September 10, 2021 on the platforms PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X / S and Nintendo Switch. Compared to the previous year, the makers promise “extensive improvements to graphics and player AI and historical teams” as well as an “enormous variety of game experiences”. Details on the new features will follow at a later date.
Pre-orders are now possible, with three different editions to choose from:
- The Standard Edition will be available for platforms of the previous generation (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC via Steam) as well as for consoles of the new generation (PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X | S)
- The Cross-Gen Digital Bundle will give players with PlayStation and Xbox consoles of the previous and new generation of the same console family access to the Standard Edition grant
- The NBA 2K22 NBA 75th Anniversary Edition will be available for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X | S, Nintendo Switch and PC (Steam). Both that Cross-Gen Digital Bundle
The NBA 75th Anniversary Edition celebrates three of the most important basketball icons who have revolutionized the league in the 75 years of its existence:
- Immortalized in the Hall of Fame, six-time NBA champion and six-time MVP as well as all-time NBA scoring leader Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has had a lasting influence on the game to this day, from his patented Skyhook to his social commitment.
- The 14-time all-star, NBA champion and MVP Dirk Nowitzki embodies as the legendary international basketball great not only the global spread of basketball, but also the evolution of the game itself.
- 11-time all-star, league MVP and two-time NBA champion Kevin Durant is a legend in himself. Known in the league for his unique presence, he is making his third appearance as an NBA 2K cover athlete.
In North America, players can also secure a special version of the Standard Edition with six-time WNBA All-Star and WNBA Champion Candace Parker on the cover. She is the first cover athlete in the series’ history.