In the battle royale long-running PUBG: Battlegrounds there will soon be a new map: Deston will take off in July!
Krafton has announced Deston, the next new map in PUBG: Battlegrounds. The new map should be available in the Battle Royale hit in a few weeks from July 13, 2022.
After there were already first selected insights into the partially flooded and futuristic megacity map, the developers now granted a detailed look at Deston. For this purpose, Creative Director Dave Curd and Michael Gilardi used the stage of the Dev Talk event to shed more light on the new game mechanics.
Deton will be an 8×8 map in response to feedback from Haven. It’s the largest, tallest, and most densely built map in the game to date. There are dense urban areas with tall buildings, but also hilly landscapes, meadows and newly designed swamps. The goal of the creators has been to find the happy medium between entertaining gameplay and immersion in a realistic playing field.
There are the following different biomes to explore on Deston (according to official information):
- The swampland – In the northern part of the map, the very first swampland in PUBG: Battlegrounds was created. This area is a unique environment filled with new experiences for players. The narrow and lush mangrove forest requires many battles in close quarters.
- central planes – The Central Planes offer the traditional experience that players have come to know and love. Similar to Erangel and Taego, this area offers a good balance of cover, scenery, and points of interest (POI) for players to explore. The POI “Lodge” is located in the Central Plains and is the largest building ever built in the game. Players can land at the lodge and witness some hunters become the hunted.
- concert district – Party-goers will enjoy the Concert District, where players will see a giant chicken balloon floating in the air. The paintball arena also offers opportunities for short, medium and long-distance battles. Players should familiarize themselves with this POI as it may be included in Team Deathmatch mode in the future.
- West Highlands – Snipers will enjoy the West Highlands area, which will put players’ sniper and sniper rifle skills to the test. With minimal planting and a wide field of view, unsuspecting players can find themselves right in the middle of the crosshairs. The rolling hills and dry, rocky atmosphere of the deserted coastal island offer more cover and hiding places.
In addition, the following new movement mechanics and other features find their way into the game:
- ascent rope – With the arrival of Deston, an entirely new movement mechanic will also be introduced to PUBG: Battlegrounds. The Ascension Rope is a motorized pulley system attached to the walls of certain buildings, including special cell towers. This new mechanic will allow players to move seamlessly from the ground to the top of a building and back again. Also, players don’t need to carry any special items to use ascension ropes. The speed can be adjusted with the sprint button.
- Base jumping parachute – There’s no point in creating the tallest buildings ever seen in PUBG: Battlegrounds if you can’t jump off them. That’s why the always-active Base Jumping Parachute was created to allow players to jump from Deston’s heights without fear. The Base Jumping Parachute is a default item in players’ inventories and is always activated. The parachute also saves players who got caught on the map when jumping from the premature end of the game. Also, at the special cell towers equipped with ascension ropes, players can combine the ascension rope with the emergency parachute to catapult themselves across the map.
- gas stations – on Deston will feature working gas stations where players can refuel their vehicles while navigating the map.
Complementing the upcoming patch are the new Blue Chip Detector tactical gear and two new weapons: the Origin 12 (Shotgun) and the MP9 (SMG).