The PS5-exclusive Returnal triumphed at the 2022 BAFTA Games Awards with four awards including Best Game. Here are all of the other night’s winners for each category.
The 2022 BAFTA Games Awards took place in person and it’s another title with roguelike mechanics that follows Hades, Returnal. And as we shall see, he lived up to his many nominations. The independent scene has nothing to be ashamed of because it won the public vote this year.
Returnal takes it all at the 2022 BAFTA Games Awards
nominated nine times, Back to 4 BAFTA Games Awards including the most coveted of the whole ceremony, that of best game. And the competition was stiff with heavyweights like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, It Takes Two, Deathloop, Forza Horizon 5 and Inscryption. A deserved win for Returnal, who also won Best Sound Design, Best Soundtrack and Best Performance in a Leading Role. In short, a triumph.
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, another exclusive PS5 game, receives two statuettes in terms of animation and graphics. Finally, it’s Forza Horizon 5, this time exclusive to Xbox, that wins the award for Best English Game, ahead of Death’s Door or even Sable.
Here it is full list of the 2022 BAFTA Games Awards
- best game : return
- Best animation : Ratchet & Clank: Rift apart
- Best Art Direction : The Artful Escape
- Best technical performance : Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- Best Sound Design : return
- Best English Game : ForzaHorizon 5
- Best First Game : Tom
- Best Service Game : No man’s heaven
- Best Family Game : Chicory: A colorful story
- Best Beyond Entertainment Game : Before your eyes
- Best Game Design : Encryption
- Best Multiplayer Game : It takes two
- Best Soundtrack : return
- Best Storytelling : Unpack
- Best Original License : It takes two
- Best Performance in a Leading Role : Jane Perry (return)
- Best Performance in a Supporting Role : Kimberly Brooks (Psychonauts 2)
- folk game of the year : Unpack
The indie scene in force!
What is also striking about this 2022 BAFTA Games Awards is the representation and victory of independent games. Unpacking, a zen experience that encourages unpacking of boxes, is a crowd pleaser and also wins the trophy for best storytelling. It may seem daunting to say so, but the suggestion is actually great.
And how not to touch on Inscryption, a Devolver Digital production, which was a real revelation to many. In short, the video game is doing well.