Age of Empires 4 uses a seasonal model for its ranked multiplayer, which should offer players regular new content and rewards as they successfully fight their way up the ranks. After a relatively successful start, however, the multiplayer has recently lost many players who are bothered by the fact that community feedback is only implemented slowly and balance problems have existed for months.
more on the subject
Age of Empires 4 loses thousands of players
The latest announcement can certainly be seen as a reaction to this development: The developers are presenting a roadmap for the next four months and want to inform the community more precisely about their update strategy in the future. We summarize the most important information for you.
In a clear graphic, the developers have summarized the most important upcoming changes that will be tackled in the coming months. Please note that some of the update plans are still in the early stages of development, so some things are subject to change. We want to inform the players about major changes.
First, future updates should be subjected to a test phase and can then be adjusted after appropriate community feedback. In your Blogpost However, the developers also go into more detail about the specifically planned changes:
Age of Empires 4 will now receive monthly updates focused less on new content and more on balance changes and bug fixes. In addition, the so-called Season Updates are planned quarterly:
With these patches, the new ranked season begins in multiplayer. During each Season, players can get exclusive content if they complete it with a certain rank. You can read more about how ranked mode works here:
Age of Empires 4
Leaderboards: How the first season works
However, the ranked seasons should bring content and improvements for all players. The developers explain in more detail what exactly is planned for the first two seasons.
Season 1 focuses on useful additional functions and community content and brings the following improvements:
- Content-Edi tor und Mods:
- The 1v1 ranked mode: This mode was tested in January and adjusted a little. It allows you to climb the ranks and earn rewards at the end of the season.
- Hotkey improvements: In the settings menu you will be able to assign new hotkeys. You can also assign more keys including mouse keys as hotkeys, for example mouse 3, 4 and 5.
- Quality of Life Improvements: Among other things, there should be a global build queue and a patrol command for units. You can also view the entire map after a match.
- Balance Changes: The Abbasid dynasty, China and the Holy Roman Empire are to be adjusted.
How good did Age of Empires 4 actually become? Our test video answers this question:
Age of Empires 4 is fantastic – but not yet the RTS’s salvation
Season 2 brings about three months later further changes that are still in an earlier development phase and are therefore not yet described in as much detail as the first season:
- Ranking Mode: Adjustments and improvements for ranked mode
- Fully customizable keyboard controls: Here we should continue what Season 1 begins with: You can then completely customize the keyboard layout to your liking.
- Voting on Maps: Ranked matches in Season 1 start with a set selection of maps. In Season 2, the players should have more say here through voting. More details are not planned here.
- Color selection: Many players want the ability to freely choose a color. This feature should come in the second season.
The developers are not yet talking about possible expansions for Age of Empires 4. You can find out here which new races the GameStar editorial team would like to see:
Age of Empires 4
These DLC races definitely need to come
What do you think of the planned changes? Is your desired feature included, or do you miss an improvement that is not listed here? Let us know in the comments!