With its new refresh graphics cards, AMD has also released a new driver. The so-called
AMD Software Preview Driver May 2022 but it’s not just any off-the-shelf driver, as it appears with great regularity.
This driver version is indeed a very special one that owners of a Radeon graphics card, to be precise: an RX 6000 GPU, from AMD should definitely not miss. Why this?
AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT
You can thank me that there is no test
Very easily: The AMD Software Preview Driver May 2022 promises a huge performance upgrade. AMD’s own measurements with a Ryzen 7 58003DX and an RX 6000 GPU (at different resolutions) we speak of up to 30 percent more frames per second, depending on the game, of course. The manufacturer calls these numbers:
- World of Warcraft: Shadowlands: +30 percent (Full HD)
- Assassin’s Creed Odyssey: +28 percent (Full HD)
- Total War Saga: Troy: +17 Prozent (Full HD)
- Grand Theft Auto V: +11 percent (4K)
- Watch Dogs Legion: +10 percent (Full HD)
- Valuing: +7 percent (WQHD)
- Total War Warhammer 3: +5 percent (Full HD)
- Apex Legends: +5 percent (4K)
- Far Cry 6: +4 percent (Full HD)
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds: +3 percent (unknown)
- The Witcher 3: +3 percent (unknown)
- Farming Simulator 22: +3 percent (Full HD)
- Overwatch: +3 percent (Full HD)
The improvements only affect games based on the programming interface (API) DirectX 11. If you are suspicious of the information provided by a manufacturer:
Independent tests confirm performance boost
The developers of the monitoring tool CapFrameX have already checked out the new driver. The performance plus promised by AMD was confirmed on a test system with an Intel Core i7 12700K and AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT. And sometimes even surpass:
In God of War they achieved a whopping 41 percent more frames per second, in Crysis Remastered at least 24 percent and in Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey even 34 percent – all measured in Full HD. So six percentage points more than AMD itself promised.
In fact, there is absolutely no question: If you have a Radeon GPU, the immediate installation of the AMD Software Preview Driver May 2022 is practically mandatory (Here you can download it by the way)! In a short self-test, we also checked whether the driver caused any problems. That was not the case, at least on our test system.
Will you install the new driver immediately? Or maybe you have already done so and are already enjoying the free performance upgrade? Write it to us in the comments!