A little over a year has passed since the launch of Windows 11 and the operating system has just received the 22H2 update, considered to date to be the most important since its arrival on the market.
As we said in the article, Windows 11 22H2 adds a handful of new features, including Start menu and File Explorer tweaks, new touchscreen gestures, and the long-awaited return of taskbar drag and drop.
We’re also getting new camera effects and key accessibility tools like Live Captions and Voice Access. This is an update that almost all Windows 11 users will want to install on their PC, although some will have to wait for it to roll out.
As you know it, Microsoft released the update on September 20., but rolling out to all supported devices will take a few weeks or even months. Newer devices will be the first to receive it.
Either way, even if you still can’t download it, there is a way to try an older version anywhere in the world. windows 11 hardware. That’s all you need to know about the installation methods.
How to install Windows 11 2022 Update with Windows Update
Although neither method is complicated, it is much easier if the update is already available for your device. If so, you can install it like any other update:
- Open System Settings.
- Click “Windows Update” on the left of the panel.
- Click on ‘Check for updates’.
- If an update appears (even if it’s not the 2022 update), download and install it. This may require a reboot.
- Once your device restarts, repeat steps 1-3. If available, you should see ‘Windows 11 version 22H2’. Click Download if it does not start automatically.
- To complete the installation, reset your device again.
If you want to install the update and don’t want to go through the Windows Insider program, it’s worth repeating these steps a few times over time until the least expected day appears as an update available. This is the simplest method.
How to install Windows 11 2022 Update via Windows Insider
If you have tried the above method, but the update still does not show up, there is an alternative. The 2022 update has been available through the Windows Insider Program since June, and the latest version is available on the Release Preview channel.
It’s more stable than the Beta or Dev channels, and that means it’s stable enough to run on your main computer. There may be some tweaks in the final version, but all major new features are here.
In this way, we show you below how you can access it to install it on your computer. The first step is to authorize the sending of diagnostic data to Microsoft; this is a requirement for the Insider program.
- Open system settings
- Select “Privacy and Security” from the left panel
- Under the “Windows Permissions” section, choose the “Feedback and Diagnosis” option
- Scroll down to the options below and choose “Diagnostic Data”. Switch to “Send optional diagnostic data” mode to enable it.
Staying in the settings, you can now connect to the Windows Insider Program.
- Select Windows Update from the left panel
- Under “More options”, choose “Windows Insider Program”.
- After a few moments you should see a login screen and welcome to the program
- In the pop-up window that appears, link your Microsoft account to the same one you used to sign in to your device.
- On the next screen, choose “Launch Preview” and click “Continue”. This can be changed later if desired.
- Accept the terms again
- Restart your device
Once the process is complete, the first versions of Windows 11 will be automatically transferred to your computer. To check and install them, go back to ‘Settings > Windows Update’ and click ‘Check for updates’ again.
After a few seconds, you should see a message saying “Windows 11, version 22H2 is available”. Click the “Download and Install” button. It will take some time.
What’s new in Windows 11 22H2?
As you’d expect, Windows 11’s first feature update is a big one. Unlike other Windows updates, there are new features that you’ll want to use regularly.
Perhaps the most striking folders are the Start menu folders, which now allow you to group pinned apps related to each other. It also means that many other apps can be added to this main screen.
Another welcome addition is drag-and-drop support for the taskbar. But this is actually a recurring feature – it was removed with the introduction of Windows 11, and now it’s back in this update.
If you’re bored of your wallpaper, Spotlight’s new wallpaper feature lets you browse a huge library of stunning images from Microsoft. Task Manager is the latest app to be redesigned and Windows 11.
But from an accessibility perspective, live captions shouldn’t be overlooked. Automatically generate subtitles for any audio file played on a Windows 11 device, regardless of the app you’re using.
You can see all the details of these novelties in our article on Microsoft Windows 11 22H2 Review: Update improves accessibility. We also tell you some brush strokes of what the update is about to arrive next year with the release of Windows 11 23H2.