Instead of having to install a VPN on each of your devices, you can install a VPN on your router to protect all devices that connect to it.
NordVPN is one of our favorite VPNs, so in this tutorial we are going to use NordVPN to explain how you can install a VPN on your router.
The first thing to check is that you router supports OpenVPN in ‘Client’ mode (instead of ‘Server’). The best way to do this is to find the make and model number of your router and search Google or the manufacturer’s website to see if it supports OpenVPN.
If you have a router provided by your ISP, it usually doesn’t support OpenVPN, so you may need to purchase a different one. router if you want to configure NordVPN on it.
On the other hand, if you notice that your internet is slower with a VPN, we also have a tutorial in which we explain how you can make your internet faster with a NordVPN.
What router works better with NordVPN?
Now, keep in mind that there are routers that work better with NordVPN than others.
If you are looking for a router With which NordVPN can be configured as easily as possible, you can see our recommendations.
For instance, FlashRouters works with NordVPN company, that’s why routers it offers comes pre-configured with VPN, so you always browse securely and privately.
If, on the other hand, you prefer to buy another router and set it up yourself, NordVPN makes some recommendations for the best models of router. As you can read in his article, Asus is the brand of router favorite of the NordVPN company. Here are some models you should consider:
How do I configure my router with NordVPN?
The exact method to configure your router for NordVPN to work will depend on the VPN brand. router.
In most cases, the steps will be quite similar, but the user interface of each router will be different, so there will not be an exact guide that can be applied equally to all types of router.
We are going to explain to you the steps to follow which, as we have explained, will not be exactly the same in all cases, but they will be very similar.
- You must have access to the section of ‘administrator’ of you router. Password and username come with the same router. You will have to
- Once inside, you will need to go to VPN option. Usually this option is in ‘Advanced settings’, but remember that all is not router They have this function.
- Then you need to add a profile for ‘VPN client’, which will include your NordVPN username and password.
- Downloading the OpenVPN client configuration files will be the next step after NordVPN establishes a link here. You will need to install them on your router loading a file.ovpn.
- Once done, you will need to enter the WAN section and enter NordVPN’s DNS servers, which are 220.127.116.11 there 103.8699.100.
- Back in the VPN tab, you should find your new VPN entry which you can activate. There should be an icon to show the connection status of the input to make sure everything is working properly.
- If you wish to disable this connection at any time, you can return to this page and select ‘disable’.
NordVPN This is without a doubt one of our favorite VPNs, it’s worth taking a look at all its offers because a subscription to NordVPN is definitely worth it.
However, be aware that there are many other options available, you can find out more about all these options by visiting our articles: The Best Free VPNs oh The 10 best VPNs (free or not).