Russia’s invasion of Ukraine resulted in a series of very restrictive sanctions. Technology companies such as Intel, AMD, Apple or NVIDIA, among others, have stopped supplying products to Russia. Well, new ones have been released. restrictions on russiain this case regarding fleas.
These new sanctions are not only for Russia, they are also for Belarus. There are two reasons. The first, that they helped Russia in the invasion of its Ukrainian neighbors. Moreover, they believe that they could help acquire technological products and send them to Russia, circumventing the restrictions.
Russia faces strong restrictions on the purchase and import of chips
The penalties and restrictions on the list are quite severe, so much so that they make Russia dates back technologically to the 70s and 80s. Although it may seem strange, it is to apply a series of restrictions and blockades approved by the United States and 33 other countries, which was signed in 1996. Dual-use goods and technologies are blocked, as well than 22 categories of military supplies and technologies. .
Among these new measures, the following stand out:
- The bandwidth arithmetic-logical units must not exceed the 16 bit
- I can’t beat one Performance of 5 GFlops (5 billion calculations per second). It should be kept in mind that modern graphics cards are capable of offering several TFlops of power.
- The clock frequency chips not being able to overcome the 25MHz
- Number of data businstruction buses and serial communication ports that connect to the processor, and the speed should not exceed 2.5 MB/s
- is limited to 144 the number of pins tokens
- The bone transmission delays basic gates must not exceed 0.4 nanoseconds
- Impossibility of acquiring equipment and wafer manufacturing technology by optical photography or X-rays
Basically, it goes back almost to the days of the first computers. A series of severe restrictions that must be respected by all companies based in the countries that are signatories to the treaty.
Logically, a door remains open to Russia and that is to buy computer equipment from China, its neighbors with whom it has extensive trade relations.
Profile position by China
Throughout the conflict, we have seen how the Asian giant has kept a low profile on this issue. They avoided expressing themselves and always measured their words very carefully when they referred to the Russian invasion. The reason for this is the close ties between the two countries and their trade relations.
Remember that Russia expelled Telegram from the country for refusing to grant a backdoor to spy on conversations indiscriminately. They have also chosen to use free software and to invest in the development of their own software and applications. As if that were not enough, the Russians hire the best hackers in the world to spy on their enemies and dissidents.
It has even been commented that Russia is planning an internet blackout in true Chinese style. Although not fully realized, significant restrictions have been put in place to access the Internet in recent years.