With the release of macOS Monterey 12.1, some users are having trouble installing this update. These are Mac users with an M1 chip where it seems like those affected are focused, although luckily there is a way to fix it. Let’s see how to fix this problem MacOS 12.1 Monterey update error on Mac M1
Fixed error updating to macOS 12.1 on Mac with M1
According to some users, the affected models are Macs with an M1 chip. That is, MacBook Air and MacBook Pro M1, Mac mini M1, iMac 2021 and MacBook Pro 2021. In my particular case, I have not encountered any issues updating to macOS 12.1 on a MacBook Air with M1. If this is your case, to solve it you must follow these steps:
- Open System Preferences> Software Updates. If you encounter the problem, you will not see the update.
- Without closing Preferences, go to Applications> Utilities> Activity Monitor.
- In Visualization, choose All Processes.
- Search for “com.apple.MobileSoftwareUpdate.UpdateBrainService” without the quotes, select it and force it to close.
- Monterey 12.1 update should now appear in Updates, go back and reopen this menu if it does not appear.
- If the update does not download, force quit the same process we saw before.
This fix for macOS Monterey update bug was found by user 9to5Mac Jonlon, although he does not know the reasons why it is effective. If you’ve had any issues updating macOS 12 Monterey, there’s a good chance you will fix it this way.